The Cité de l`automobile or better known as THE No.1 Bugatti museum or THE Schlumpf Collection is housed in Mulhouse/France, right at the german border. The history of this remarkable collection is closely knitted with the lifes of two brothers, Hans and Fritz Schlumpf. Born in Italy at the beginning of the last century, both came to Mulhouse with their parents in 1906. In 1935 the two founded SAIL, a company dealing in wool, they bought their first shares in a spinning mill and took over various companies in 1940. By the end of the 50`s, Fritz Schlumpf began buying vintage cars after taking part in numerous rallyes since 1939 with his Bugatti35B. First he collected in secrecy, later he formed a series of contacts with scouts in France, Switzerland, England, Italy, Germany and the United States. The brothers attention turned more and more towards expensive cars and away from their original business. In need of space for their growing collection, they transformed the woolen mill building into a showcase for their cars. In 1966, work started on preparing the collection for display: the“Schlumpf Museum” became public. After a bankruptcy in 1976, various organisations and the country were keen to keep the collection alive. The brothers died in 1989 and 1992 respectively and in 2000 a complete rebuild and modernisation of the museum was launched by Culturespaces. Finally in 2006, the Cité de l`automobile was founded and took over the business of running the museum. Nowadays over 400 dream cars are on display that together make up one of the most beautiful collections in the world. Already the way to the building and the entrance are spectacular: the visitor comes face to face with a flight of suspended cars. This fanciful arrangement of cars and animals is carried through by a sound device in which natural atmospheric and mechanical sounds are all mixed together. The relaxed atmosphere in the museum is designed to allow every one to move around at his own pace: as a family group or perhaps to meet up with friends on the comfortable sofas in the rest areas, or as an opportunity for real enthusiasts to pick up more information. This complete exhibiton extends over an area of more than 4 hectares with its typically 19th century architecture. What the designers have sought to do is to exploit to the fullest possible extent the exceptional architectural heritage of this old factory. Lit by 800 street lamps, identical to those on the Alexandre III bridge in Paris, the vast 17,000 m2 main hall puts these exhibits on display arranged according to the main periods of the motorcar. In July 2007, the premises were enlarged, modernised and expanded and the National Motor Museum became the Cité de l’Automobile – National Museum – Schlumpf Collection. By July 2011 the Cité de l’Automobile expanded again with the inauguration of the autodrome. This track gives visitors the chance to see the cars from the collection in action. A show called “In the arena! 17 symbolic cars tell their story” is put on every weekend. Culturespaces has also opened a gourmet restaurant “L’Atalante” and four other dining areas. The museum is split into several themes : The first group is that of the “Forerunners and Pioneers”: the cars of Panhard, Peugeot, De Dion and Benz, covering a period from 1895 to 1918. The 2nd group, the “Classic Cars”, covers the time of 1918-1938. The third group is the “Modern Cars”, from the period after 1945 until today, marked by the appearance of lighter, popular cars. Then there is a most impressive collection of racing cars with some outstanding models such as the Mercedes W125 (1937), the Maserati 250F (1957), the Lotus 33 (1965) or the very latest F1 and sportscars from the 2000`s. The exhibition goes on and on… with the Motorcar Masterpieces, the Bugatti Veyron area, The Jammet collection with 101 children’s cars, the Mascots’Collection displaying the figurines that adorn the radiator caps of motor cars and the impressive exhibition track outside the building. Audioguides, which provide a commentary and explain the history of the Schlumpf collection, are available in six languages. Depending on how deep your interest in car history goes, you can spend easily half a day or more in the museum. My take : check out my photo gallery first, visit their website and go and see it in person whenever you get the chance !
CollectionSchlumpf About 90 Bugattis, two of six world wide existing Bugatti Royale type 41 on display 437 of the most beautiful cars
What: Collection Schlumpf Where: 15 rue de l epee, 68100 MulhouseFrance When: daily 10:00 - 17:00 Website: https://www.citedelautomobile.com Contact: +33 3 89 33 23 23 How much: €13.-
Info Destination: France
Mulhouse
France
The Worlds Largest Bugatti Collection
All Speed and cars Bugatti Museum
gallery
All Speed and cars
The Cité de l`automobile or better known as THE No.1 Bugatti museum or THE Schlumpf Collection is housed in Mulhouse/France, right at the german border. The history of this remarkable collection is closely knitted with the lifes of two brothers, Hans and Fritz Schlumpf. Born in Italy at the beginning of the last century, both came to Mulhouse with their parents in 1906. In 1935 the two founded SAIL, a company dealing in wool, they bought their first shares in a spinning mill and took over various companies in 1940. By the end of the 50`s, Fritz Schlumpf began buying vintage cars after taking part in numerous rallyes since 1939 with his Bugatti35B. First he collected in great secrecy, later he formed a series of contacts with scouts in France, Switzerland, England, Italy, Germany and the UnitedStates. The brothers attention turned more and more towards expensive cars and away from their original business. In need of space for their growing collection, they transformed the woolen mill building into a showcase for their cars. In 1966, work started on preparing the collection for display: the“Schlumpf Museum” became public. After a bankruptcy in 1976, various organisations and the country were keen to keep the collection alive. The brothers died in 1989 and 1992 respectively and in 2000 a complete rebuild and modernisation of the museum was launched by Culturespaces. Finally in 2006, the Cité de l`automobile was founded and took over the business of running the museum. Nowadays over 400 dream cars are on display that together make up one of the most beautiful collections in the world. Already the way to the building and the entrance are spectacular: the visitor comes face to face with a flight of suspended cars. This fanciful arrangement of cars and animals is carried through by a sound device in which natural atmospheric and mechanical sounds are all mixed together. The relaxed atmosphere in the museum is designed to allow every one to move around at his own pace: as a family group or perhaps to meet up with friends on the comfortable sofas in the rest areas, or as an opportunity for real enthusiasts to pick up more information.This exhibiton extends over an area of more than 4 hectares with its typically 19th century architecture. What the designers have sought to do is to exploit to the fullest possible extent the exceptional architectural heritage of this old factory. Lit by 800 street lamps, identical to those on the Alexandre III bridge in Paris, the vast 17,000 m2 main hall puts these exhibits on display arranged according to the main periods of the motorcar:In July 2007, the premises were enlarged, modernised and expanded and the National Motor Museum became the Cité de l’Automobile–National Museum – Schlumpf Collection.By July 2011 the Cité de l’Automobile expanded again with the inauguration of the autodrome. This track gives visitors the chance to see the cars from the collection in action. A show called “In the arena! 17 symbolic cars tell their story” is put on every weekend.Culturespaces has also opened a gourmet restaurant “L’Atalante” and four other dining areas. The museum is divided into several themes :The first group is that of the “Forerunners and Pioneers”: the cars of Panhard, Peugeot, De Dion and Benz, covering a period from 1895 to 1918. The 2nd group, the “Classic Cars”, covers the time of 1918-1938. The third group is the “Modern Cars”, from the period after 1945 until today, marked by the appearance of lighter, popular cars. Then there is a most impressive collection of racing cars with some outstanding models such as theMercedes W125 (1937), theMaserati 250F (1957) or the Lotus 33 (1965) or the very latest F1 and sportscars from the 2000`s. The exhibition goes on and on…with the Motorcar Masterpieces, the Bugatti Veyron area, The Jammet collection with 101 children’s cars, the Mascots’Collection displaying the figurines that adorn the radiator caps of motor cars and the impressive exhibition track outside the building. Audioguides, which provide a commentary and explain the history of the Schlumpf collection, are available in six languages. Depending on how deep your interest in car history goes, you can spend easily half a day or more in the museum. My take : check out my photo gallery first, visit their website and go and see it in person whenever you get the chance !
The Worlds Largest Bugatti Collection CollectionSchlumpf Destination: France
Mulhouse
France
Bugatti Museum
What: Collection Schlumpf Where: 15 rue de l epee, 68100 MulhouseFrance When: daily 10:00 - 17:00 Website: https://www.citedelautomobile.com Contact: +33 3 89 33 23 23 How much: €13.-
Info
gallery